Sunday, May 27, 2012

It's not knitting we do...

The cutting edge of bouldering.

Putting up new lines...

Eoin found a new slab to warm up on and cleaned the scrittley bits of rock and moss and choss away as he climbed. The holds were good and the moves were quality. The top out was covered in heather though. Eoin made use of it and clambered over the top. A new line!

I was eager to follow him up and sure enough, made it to the final move before I became a little off balance. It was clear in the moment that there were two choices - I was either coming off or doing a dyno to catch some heather at the top. I threw for it as I heard gasps below me and caught it. My foothold was good and I breathed a sigh of relief - home and dry...

I thought...

I thought I was copying Eoin's method of topping out, but he later told me that he didn't pull on the heather. I did and it came away in my hands and before I knew it and to my complete surprise I was falling a long way down. We reckoned later that one piece of heather must have come away before the other because I twisted around and came clattering down on my ankle.

I twisted it well and Eoin brought me straight to the river beside us to dunk it in and perhaps contain the swelling...

I think the sorest part of the fall was my nail bending backwards on my hand... that was painful!

The day was a stunner and we relaxed in the sun for most of it. Some climbing was done but no one else tried Eoin's new slab.

'Wicklow Tea' saw a lot of action and everyone found their way up it. 

We headed up to the roof that John had found on the last visit and 'Karaoke Nightmare' got it's fair share of top outs too.

No comments:

Post a Comment