Friday, December 3, 2010

That one bit of advice...

There have been a few bits of advice I've been given in my climbing year that have changed the very way I climb and have made me better... Instantly...

One of them (the one that sticks out the most in my head cause it was the first time I got a bit of advice that instantly sorted one of the problem or weak areas of my climbing) was from Frank Reilly, my first climbing partner - we used to train so much, and as usual, I couldn't ever throw for holds... I'd try, but simply miss the hold and fall to the floor...

One day we were on a traverse that had a throw on it that I just couldn't do, and Frank told me that if I started out from the wall (as opposed to starting pulled into the wall) and then tried throwing for the hold I'd be far more successful...

Instant improvement.

There have been a bunch of other things that have moved my climbing along faster too - but while training with Naomi today, the two of us were discussing how we often turn to more experienced climbers for that one bit of advice that's going to push our grades or ability to the next level instantly...

Truth is, I think at this point both myself and Naomi have passed the point of 'learning' the basics of climbing and making those huge strides that one does when one begins to climb...

I've a lot to learn still, but I think the answers are only going to come in time, which is a hard pill to swallow cause I want someone to tell me something that's going to open another door instantly for me and have me bouldering 7a NOW!!

I've heard from a few boulderers that I should just climb to get better!

It makes perfect sense - I'm beginning to learn that it's the best piece of advice I've been given - put the hours in!!!!

Nothing worth having comes easy and while I welcome, appreciate and try to take on board all the advice I'm given at training sessions and out on the boulders we go to, I'm starting to realise that progress isn't going to just 'happen' instantly.

I need to just keep training, and more to the point (as suggested by Naomi today) I need to train my weaknesses specifically.

Weaknesses that still include throwing for holds... (though sometimes I can get them, and I know the technique, I just don't have the power or accuracy YET!) ... that's one weakness among many other holes in my technique!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment