Monday, April 30, 2012

Pause


The view from the top of 3Rock last Weekend

Truth be told, I'm pissed off that I missed the Bouldering Meet in Kerry - but that's in hindsight. At the time, I was tired and felt out of shape... The point is, I'm psyched to get to Kerry again, or to Wicklow or to Fairhead or somewhere - but just not indoors... I don't want to train at the moment...

I don't want to train to climb anyway.

I've discovered the misery of pointing my bike at a big steep hill and cracking on up it quite appeals to me - Going until I feel like I can't breath anymore and my legs won't go and everything is telling me to stop and rest except my head!! I try to rest only when I feel like I'm going to fall over or that I might start going backwards if I cycle any slower...

There's progress being made too - I've never in my life before trained endurance and I've been heading for a steep hill cycle/week now for the last 4 weeks. It's been epic and largely unpleasant in the moment, but I absolutely love it.

My favorite cycle so far has been up 3Rock last weekend - I could barely see or walk properly by the time we got to the boulders at the top - but the view out over dublin with the sky above on fire as the sun set was remedy enough to allow me to forget my spent muscles and light head. The cold on the way home as we raced down the hill at what felt like lightening speed nearly broke my spirit, but in the end, only served to make dinner seem all the tastier!!!

I'm starting from zero with this new found addiction and progress is good and hugely satisfying, but hard earned.

Went for a run tonight, and it was really tough. All my body wanted to do was stop - but at this point I think it's just a mind game. My prescription is 3 x 20 mins of running each week.


I have no idea why, but it seems right to pause bouldering for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment