Sunday, October 9, 2011

Yes... Just Bouldering.

I've come to climbing later than would have been ideal now that I know how much I love it.

I was a good gymnast and maybe I wouldn't have taken to climbing as quickly as I have without the years I spent in the gym... In fact, no maybe about it.

I'm intrigued by the limits of how the human body can move. I'm endlessly entertained by the videos online of climbers, gymnasts, free runners, skateboarders, cyclists, surfers, etc who are pushing the limits of what's possible everyday. Some of my favorites:




Someone does something and I think, that has to be chance, or a one off, and then the next video comes along. Mind-blowing.

Gymnastics and trampolining are fast sports - fast reactions, fast movement, fast twitch. The reason I think I stuck with them for so many years is because I got a real buzz out of seeing how far I could push my body.

Climbing is no different, however I don't just want to climb generally, simply because, specifics and details are what I've always been interested in.

I don't get a buzz from being up high, or the long journey of a multi-pitch route. I've little or no interest in acquiring climbing gear or learning how to place it. I spend enough time with my own thoughts without climbing leaving me 50m up and alone too.

There is no doubt though, that I find videos and stories of people performing all the many things that don't float my boat, very impressive indeed.

I was asked last night: So you just boulder?...

Yes.

It's the purity of bouldering that I love. I don't need to know how to do anything else, except climb. I'm harnessing one skill, climbing. There's nothing else to think about, just climbing. Nowhere to hide, I can do the move, or I can't and try as I may - there's no excuses.

I get a rush of adrenaline from sticking that one move that I couldn't do before, then putting it in sequence (perhaps trampolining and bouldering are alike in that sense - a skill is learned, then put in a sequence of skills in order to execute the final piece as a whole). I suppose it's the learned mechanics of a beautiful problem that leaves me obsessed. More than anything, though - I can perform the hardest possible moves that I'm capable of, without fearing anything.

The learning curve is sharp too, boulderers arrive at a problem and take quick turns - try, fail, try fail, try fail... One boulderer unlocks the move, everyone gets it - next move... try, fail, try, fail... until suddenly there's a sequence on the go and the problem comes together.

Everyone's psyched on the same move. The one hold.

Bouldering can be super personal as well though.

I suppose bouldering has me so intrigued and motivated because while I'm attempting the hardest move I can possible do - in that moment when I believe it can be done and really go for it, there's nothing else on my mind.

I love to train, and I put in about 4 evenings a week. Some evenings at the board are good, and some not so good, but I'm always looking forward to the next session. When I train indoors, I'm focused on only one thing: Preparing my body for bouldering.

Outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment