Sunday, March 6, 2011

Irish Bouldering Meet 2011

Claire and I on our way back after checking out (and I mean looking at!) Wonderland (8b)

Tim and John

Dec on The Goat (7a)

Looking back on this weekend, it was a whirlwind of boulder problems, smiles and far to much drink and food!

I had never been to a boulder meet before and I was really looking forward to this weekend. Last week was torture as I sat in work with a sore back, looking out at a clear blue sky that was forecast to hold for the weekend.

I counted down the minutes to the end of my working day on Friday and sulked my way home after what seemed to be the longest 9am-5pm in history! I couldn't get psyched when I got home on Friday and spent the evening halfheartedly packing things for the weekend. It was really only just before I went to bed that I it hit me... I was going bouldering in the morning...

It took me ages to get to sleep then as I lay in bed thinking about all the problems I wanted to do in the morning...

As usual, the alarm clock went off far too early and it was time to get up and go! I met Jack and Jonno down in Dundrum and before long, Dec pulled up and we all piled into his car and set off for Glendalough... PSYCHED!

It was our impression that we were running behind the guys who had stayed down in the IMC Hut the previous night. When we arrived in Glendalough we were expecting the boulders to be well warmed up, but to our surprise we were the first ones there, with the exception of Barry who met on his way out of the valley after a very early start!

So we got warmed up and finishing on 'The Rails' before we saw more boulder pads with legs wandering along the path in the distance - the troop had arrived! We all made our way over to Big Jim and played on some more bits and bobs before Tim asked: 'Trish!, Andy's Arete?'

Hell yeah!! Over we went and it was the same story as last time, I felt solid then my foot popped, time and time again. I just haven't figured it out yet and knowing the amount of problems I could potentially get on to during the day, I made myself move on from it and we went to try Rhythm and Stealth again.


Kev Power on Rhythm and Stealth (7a)

For me, I think Rhythm and Stealth was the high point of the day. Jonno nearly flashed it but his sleeve got in his way as he went for the crimp, he quickly got back on it with his sleeves rolled up and sent it. Tim looked solid but ran out of steam on the top move and had to step off the problem. Again he tried but this time peeled off the top, in slightly more spectacular style, but third time lucky, he sent it - really great effort from him!

Dec then sent Rhythm and Stealth and it seemed to me that the energy for the day was just rising and rising the whole time. John Howard then got on the sit start to Rhythm and Stealth - the much famed line 'Leftism' (7c). He had it wired and he made it look easy. Once he got the opening sequence out of the way (which was awesome to watch) and hit the start of Rhythm and Stealth there was little doubt in my mind that the problem would be topped out. He grabbed the top hold and really took his time shaking out and preparing for the top out which is pretty demanding after the long and very over hanging sequence that leads up to it. It was fantastic to see the problem being done and John sitting on the top of the boulder chuffed to bits!

This is his send:
















Though there's no doubt that Leftism was the high point of his day, John didn't finish there. He ticked The Goat (7a) and F@*K All Left (7a) as well. Not a bad day at the office!!

Tim got so very close to ticking F@*K All Left, but it seemed his skin just hadn't recovered from a long day's climbing the previous Thursday and with the sharp unforgiving holds on the line, it just became too much of an ask to hold on anymore... Next time for sure!

Went up and had a go on 'The Fin' (7a+) and I remember about a year ago sitting under it and not even understanding how to get off the ground. A year ago I could barely get into the opening position of the sit start. Yesterday I could pull off the ground and make a fairly decent effort at throwing for the opening hold, so I was pleased with that.

I suppose my lack of actual projecting on any particular problem means that I'm not ticking anything at the moment, but it's nice to be experiencing small steps of progress on everything I'm trying each time I try it!

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly miffed that I didn't tick anything this weekend, but as I said during the day to Tim, you can't have as much fun as the lot of us did and come away in a grump! It was a really great day.

By the time we left we were all shattered. After a quick stop at the IMC Hut to change clothes and wash hands etc we headed off to the pub and so the craic began! It was pretty tame at first, we ordered food, then all got a bit sleepy before the rest of the guys arrived and breathed new life into the night! There were loads of beers, some great moves on the dance floor and even a cartwheel display on the way home!

We got back to the hut and all sat around having great chats and I laughed so hard my cheeks were sore by the end of the night. So much fun! Though a few people were sensible (kind of) and nipped off to bed before it got really really late, Dave sent the rest of us to bed in the wee hours.

Waking up this morning was a struggle and getting out of bed was even worse! When we all finally did, and looked out the window it was not the weather we were promised. Misty rain hung in the air and everything was damp and cold.

'The rain's kind of a relief' Tim was the first to say it, and despite my disappointment, I knew he was right - we were all feeling the effects of a late night and we had all put serious effort in the day before and had no skin and aching muscles. I sat this morning in a daze at the table in the hut and realised I had no breakfast with me... reluctant to eat anything at first with my iffy stomach, I was aware that hunger would hit me at some point... It was then that a full irish breakfast was unceremoniously slapped down in front of me... I've rarely been so happy and have to say a big thank you to Tim and James for rustling it up!! Yummy!

I have to say It would have been nice to go hang out at the boulders and try some problems if it was sunny but between the hangovers and the weather the day was doomed to be a write off and as I sit here smiling as I think about Saturday and the Irish Bouldering Meet 2011, there are no feelings of remorse over not getting out today.

Yesterday had it all!
Me on The Goat (7a)

Thanks to Dec for the lift down, Tim for the psyche, James for the torch and Dave for bringing it all together!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment