Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day for the Ducks!!

Didn't get out today, but training's off to a good start! -

2 hours in the Co op and after warming up I started with 10 single arm throws on each arm and then 10 attempts at 2 throws in problems I know I can't do.

I started on a single arm right hand throw from a jug to a jug, I sized it up and it looked easy, but I missed it on the first 3 or 4 go's. It was only when I realised I needed to put some power into the move and really go dynamically at it that I caught the throw. DUH!!

That really opened my eyes as to how statically I like to climb. I never favour throwing or jumping for holds... I always like to lock off and move instead.

I was then trying a throw in a problem I've been on for months, literally, and can't catch the last hold - it's a really awkward jump. I had been told by Kev to put all 4 fingers on the crimp that I throw from and use my thumb, as I usually only catch it with 3 fingers. Today I completely forgot that advice and was making no progress at all jumping for the final hold until young Niamh looked at me trying the problem and asked afterwards... "would you not better trying it with all your fingers on the crimp?!"

After that I got within mm of catching the final hold. Cheers Niamh!

I think it'll go soon, if I can remember the advice everyone's shouting at me!!

Went to try and do a bit of work on the campus board, but aside from going up the board 1 rung at a time I wasn't sure what else to do at this early stage as I'm not really capable of much more!

Ron suggested starting with my two hands on one rung and with my right hand campusing to the next rung and then back down without moving my other hand and then repeat on the left hand.

Did 10 on each arm and thought I'd better leave it be. I wasn't sore at all, but I didn't want to be either. I have a feeling that what I'm doing now is quite intense and I don't want to pick up an injury, so the 'slowly slowly catchy monkey' approach is being taken!!

Then worked on the new traverse problem on the 45 degree board, with Ron and Howard - with a new finish by Howard that gives hope to mere mortals and definitely gives more of a flow to the problem, though I think that's may be an excuse cause I can't get near the original end to it!!

Great craic training today, absolutely psyched for the climbing meet in a few weeks, the Paddy's Weekend Adventure (whatever it turns out to be!) and then Font... March is looking good!!!

Skin is fecked!

No comments:

Post a Comment