Sunday, January 16, 2011

Can't move... it must have been a good day!


Arriving at Glendalough car park today (Thanks so much for the lift Mark!), it didn't look too promising for mint conditions... but everyone that came, and who had kept the faith and believed in the weatherman was rewarded.

The conditions weren't mint when we arrived at the boulders but got better and better as the day went on. Unfortunately the river was really rough, so Andy's Arete was kind of out of the question (I don't really think I'm in shape for it at the moment anyway) Warmed up on the usual path side stuff and spent a good while on the egg boulder and made major progress on the traverse. I had tried it a few months back with Eamon O Riain and had been spat off the start of it - today with the help of Dec's move by move beta I made it almost over to 'The Egg' finish, but not quite (2 or 3 moves off!)

Thanks for the beta Dec! I was really chuffed with that!

We moved on up to another problem that I hadn't been to before - really REALLY awkward start, with all my limbs trying their hardest to lift off the ground... nothing was happening!!


That's something I love about bouldering, you can be trying as hard as you can, and not moving off the ground!!! The guys made progress but it didn't seem like the problem was inspiring anyone, so we moved on.

Up to Chillax we went and after 4 or 5 attempts, I sent it, again!!, Chuffed... again! :) The guys did so many variations of it including a new sit start than I had seen before, which adds 2 or 3 more moves onto that awesome problem.

So we finished with Chillax (the guys having tried every variation possible) and despite being tired, we made our way up to an Arete I think was called Blind Stick and it was very tricky, and a little daunting in that the landing wasn't too even. We all had trouble on it until Kev stepped forward and just sent it out of nowhere!! Tim got damn close, but the blind throw at the end is a desperate move and spat him off onto the boulder mats which all collapsed down a hole as Tim disappeared up to his waste... No harm done!






Finished the day on Black Art, but I was wasted tired by the time we got there and said I'd sit it out, but it just looked too cool and I had to give it a go. Tough start, but it's definitely not beyond me I don't think. It's on my tick list, but I hadn't been to it before. I'm impressed and have to go back and try again... if I can find it!!



Great day out!


1 comment:

  1. never mentioned, I finally got to see a send of The Egg - Fair dues Dec!!

    ReplyDelete