Saturday, November 13, 2010

Breath....


So I recently got my hair dyed blonde for a stunt I was doing...

Not mad about it, and not mad about the slagging that comes with it!!

But at the risk of further mockery...

I've recently discovered breathing!

I've discovered that if I breathe when I'm bouldering everything is way more chilled out!

Usually when I'm on a tough move or a thin hold, I hold my breath and tense every muscle in my body... But since Font - when it was suggested to me that I breathe half way through 'La Surplumb Statique' which lead to a successful top out on the problem, I've been consciously trying to breathe whenever I boulder.

When I caught the final hold on that 6a+ in Franchard Isitis I was totally tensed up and in a bit of a panic as to what to do. 'Breathe' was then shouted at me and as I did and all my muscles relaxed, I found the weight of my body made the hold far more positive, and gave me a few extra seconds to figure my next move out.

So now I always try to breathe when I boulder... It's probably something everybody always does when they're climbing... but it's a discovery worth writing about for me :)




1 comment:

  1. I always forget, Pierre and now Kev always shout it at me. I found the yoga I did briefly helped as they are all about the breathing.

    ReplyDelete