Sunday, August 9, 2015

Rocklands (part 3)

One of the days over in Rocklands, we visited an area called '8 Day Rain'. Developed by Lisa Rands and Co, the area is so named because they went there after 8 days of continuous rain.


Psyched to get going!

We had it to ourselves the day we went. In Rocklands, some areas are far more popular than others, but the quality of rock and the range of problems is as good in one area as it is in the next.

The problems felt a little more spread out in '8 Day Rain' than the areas we had visited before. I loved exploring the natural corridors between the boulders as they wound their way up the hill. Eoin and I warmed up on a few super short but burley 6a/6b problems.

It was so hot that day. I felt strong but somewhat sleepy as the sun seemed to beat down on us as we climbed. I was psyched to try Vanity 7A. The problem looked impressive in the guide and when we got there, we realised that the photo didn't quite do the line justice... However - with only 2 pads and 1 spotter each (Eoins spotter was a girl..me!) we were a little intimidated.

The landing is rocky, which is unusual in Rocklands - most landings were sandy and flat.

We quickly flashed a 6c on the corner of the same block and eventually decided that Vanity which is a highball problem - was not worth getting injured over, so we just left it be - another time!

Another look at the guide and there was a 7a that caught our eye called Silky Natural.

We headed over and though most of it was in the shade, the sheer heat of the day made the problem a lot harder than it might have been in cooler conditions. It was a traverse to start after which a huge throw to a large scooping jug linked through to a set of burley moves that again, traversed up higher and out of the roof onto a standing ledge.

Eoin made good progress, and seemed to have the problem in two halves. I was sure he'd send it before we left that day. Unfortunately, during one of my attempts, I missed the burley throw in the middle of the problem and fell off... The mat slid and I fell on my back just where a rock was poking up out of the sand.

It hurt... A lot. I thought in that instant that I'd done serious damage. The fall seemed so minor until the damn pad slipped.

After what seemed like a long time, I managed to get to my feet and walk it off. My lower back had a cut and a bruise, but I felt ok. Actually my hip seemed to feel a little weird - liked it had been knocked out of place, but that feeling just started to fade after a while.

We decided to go and have some lunch. So we wandered over to where Al and Aoife were climbing and all 4 of us sat down for some food. As we ate, a funny little creature hopped out from the bushes beside us. He was about the size of a field mouse, with springy back legs, a snout that resembled a trunk and funny ears - he was a treat to behold. He dashed out and then away again. I threw out a crumb for him, and he jumped out again and grabbed it. He was so fast!!!

An Elephant Shrew


















Later we asked Charité (who owns and runs the Travellers Rest where we stayed) about him and she said he was an elephant Shrew and that people come to study them and have trouble getting a glimpse!

***

Back to '8 Day Rain' and after lunch Eoin decided that he'd like to go and try to complete Silky Natural. He came so close but the sun, at that stage was roasting the problem and made it all so much harder.

Al managed it, but admitted the heat made it feel harder than it should have been.



The sun was setting on our day and we wandered back over to the start of the area. Al was interested in trying another few problems and left Eoin, Aoife and I at a problem he'd done before called The Golden Rail 6C.

It had it all! A knee bar, an undercut with arm at full extension over the head, crimps, jugs, a bizarre stopper move the middle... I was excited to try, but nervous of my back. After so many attempts on Silky Natural, Eoin was pretty tired - and for us tall folk, the crazy middle move which linked the roof start to the technical finish required a huge amount of flexibility, not to mention trust in the feet!!

The start of the problem really drew me in. It seemed to have the potential to be the best problem I'd tried in Rocklands so far. Al had shown us how to do the middle move, but I had my own ideas, writing his technique off as impossible for tall people.


The Golden Rail 6C

I tried everything I could, but kept on getting spat off the block. I was getting stronger on the move though despite my failures. In the end, having thrown everything I had at it, I went back to Al's technique and guess what...

It worked.

I sent the problem just before it got dark and I couldn't have been more pleased with my efforts.















































It certainly felt like the most difficult problem I had done so far... By a good bit. We had sent a number of 6cs (and even flashed a couple of them) and a 6c+ at that stage and The Golden Rail felt like the hardest and the classiest line so far.


I'd really love to go back with a heap of pads and try Vanity. But I am very excited to have completed such a great problem as The Golden Rail.

8 Day Rain is a really wonderful place.





No comments:

Post a Comment