Friday, December 23, 2011

Stuck.

Today was supposed to be gift.

My new company circulated an email last Tuesday that said we'd be finishing on Thursday instead of Friday. I was over the moon at the prospect of another day's bouldering before Christmas.

Then my slip disc went.

Yesterday evening the pain got so bad, I got myself into a taxi and headed to my doctor. It was a spur of the moment decision and I rang the GP on the way. I arrived and he said it was an acute disc... whatever that means...

He said he was going to give me a couple of injections, and I said 'hang on, injections of what?!'

He said morphine and I said eh, no, explaining to him that I had been taking Neurofen plus pills (as directed on the box) over the previous days. Good job I told him about the codeine in my system...

He sent me off with some drugs that would chill the muscle in my back and stomach which were locked in spasm and said he'd be in touch about organising an MRI next week. I got home last night and took the first dose. Lay down on my couch and fell asleep for 3 hours, woke up and went to bed.

At 13.45 today I woke up. It was a lovely rest but even I am unsure about being asleep for nearly 17 hours. Though I like to gloat about my ability to sleep for 14 hours... 17 seems a little unnatural.

So a third day of lying on the floor is in store for me - and I've only one thing on my mind.

Being well enough to walk into the boulders tomorrow.

My back does seem a lot better today, but today has been stolen from me as I read of bouldering sessions happening, and received an invite to head out to the blocks last night from Naomi - all I can do, is study the carpet of my sitting room and try and get my back, back into shape for some fun tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment