Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Splendid Idea


Barbeque Night: Ayton's Cave

Dave's idea of a Barbeque at Ayton's Cave couldn't have been better timed or better executed!

The weather was a blissful mix of sunshine with a balmy breeze and the pleasantness of the evening only got better as the sun set.

John and I arrived along and met Dave who had cycled in with a bag of wood bits for burning and a grill tray. He also had 4 burgers and a few burger buns.

Chris arrived in soon after that and we decided it'd be cool to start cooking food in about an hour or so.


Ron arrived and reminded us all that it would take a good while for the coals etc to heat up, so Ron and Dave got the barbeques lit and burgers and sausages were put on to cook :)

Dave's Fire


Rhys cooking his posh burger

Rhys, Claire, Tom and Colm all arrived along a little after and dare I say it, there seemed to be a sense of occasion about the evening!! Everyone worked away on their projects and lines - there was a rare mix of fun and focus. Tonight was gas craic but a lot of effort was put in too.



List of things I neglected to bring with me today include:

Boulder pad
Water
Chalk bag

Crucial, crucial, crucial! What was I thinking?!

I did remember banana bread and sausages though...

Ron and Chris worked tirelessly on 'Bring out the Swans' and the sequence looks to be coming together for them.

I worked on Maneater and felt jittery,maybe even scared - I found it difficult to focus and was sure I would slip or fall or something. I couldn't remember my sequence and my head was all over the place.

I went and ate a burger.

Fresh off the Barbeque and offered to me by Dave, I realised how hungry I had become. Just as I was about to bite into it Dave warned me that the juices would spill out and were really hot. I thought 'how bad can it be?!'

Turns out, it was bloody boiling!! I squeezed the rest of the juice out of the burger and let it cool a bit and it was absolutely yummy!!

Classy dinner!!!

Got to the knee bar chill out point on Maneater and made it to the end crimp again, but my feet were all wrong and I didn't know what to do - I dropped off and was really frustrated. I curled up into a little ball on the ground and took a moment.

Chris pointed out that the final toe hook is a lot easier if the right toe is in, as opposed to the left toe I was using which jumbled my feet up for the end.

It was the beta I needed and despite a less than smooth start, which included an unexpected cut loose, and some improvisation on a couple of foot placements, it all came together for me. I matched the final jug having used Chris' foot beta and was so pleased to have completed the line.

And in the dark!

My Send (Thanks for the pics Ron!)








I had attempted to chalk up at the rest point, but I was upside - down and forgot which way my chalk bag was... Well, John's chalk bag... I moved it to chalk my hands and the entire contents spilled out over Chris' boulder pad...

Sorry Chris. Sorry John!


It was great how even for the last few moves of Maneater, everyone was still telling me to 'stick with it' and encouraging me right until the end - I think every boulderer appreciates how easily a problem can just fall apart in the blink of an eye. It's so easy to think - 'the hard part is over' but the problem's not over until the final hold is held - or the top out is made.

Ron working 'Bring out the Swans'

The energy this evening was great, food was amazing ;) , weather was absolutely perfect and the Cave was in mint condition.

Dave's idea for a Barbeque at the Cave was a splendid one indeed!


2 comments:

  1. Well done Trish, you're burning me off now too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barry, I did it with the patented 'Ron Browner' beta... makes it a LOT easier!

    Think I'll try it the way you guys do it next Summer when I'm a bit stronger :)

    ReplyDelete