Saturday, January 1, 2011

1.1.11 GLENDALOUGH!!



So I woke up this morning to a text message from Claire and jumped at the chance to go with her to Glendalough bouldering for the day. I then sent out a text to everyone I thought was in Dublin and might like to come along... A lot of the responses I received tended to contain the words 'too hungover' ... understandable considering the night before!!

I did get a very unexpected text back from Dec saying he was bouldering in Hong Kong, but that he hoped I'd enjoy the day in Glendalough... Cool!

Turned out to be a very overcast day and as we arrived at the boulders it was spitting rain. We ran into Tim and James and headed over to Big Jim to warm up with them... There's always lots to do on that boulder and sometimes I don't even go near it on days out in Glendo.


Tim had his usual abundance of energy and we got lots and lots of problems done - but as the day went on - I began to realise that over 2 months away from real rock has left me out of touch with how to move and trust my feet and I just lacked a general sensitivity to the rock.

Couldn't even latch the first hold on the Nu Rails...

Tim... Latching the first hold on the Nu Rails...

Had so much fun out, but it was a slow day for me bouldering wise...

Found a new problem, (Thanks Tim!) again as always I'm not sure what it was called but it was really close by the Nu Rails etc and it was just lovely and balancey and short. The other thing about it was it had a big massive hole to the left of it... excellent motivation to keep climbing upwards!!


James on the new Boulder Problem

Headed then to meet up with Chris Rooney and Michael Duffy and Ron and a guy called Andy, who I've since been told put up 'Andy's Arete' ... my next project. We were headed up the side of the valley to an area I've never been to before - I was intrigued!

We hiked up what can only be described as about 15 minutes of vertical scrambling and my legs were like jelly by the top!! But the bouldering looks fantastic up there and I even had a few goes on a traverse which was really great fun, but I was too tired to get the most out of it.

There's lots and LOTS to do up there though, so I'll definitely be back again!









Always lovely to find new places to explore :)

The rain then got a bit heavier and it was getting pretty dark, so we started back down the hill, James strolled with his hands in his pockets... Tim just seemed to bound down the way, I attempted to keep my cool as I slid and fell and did everything but walk, Claire was right behind me and I'm sure my efforts made for good entertainment!!

Thanks a mil to Claire for a great day out... 2011 has started well!!!

:)




5 comments:

  1. that was Andy Harris, Andy's arete was first done by Andy Crome i think

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you and Andy get on on that Arete down from the traverse that we said goodbye to you guys at? I would have loved to have had the energy to stick around and give that a try!

    What grade does it go at? Worth going back for a go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's 7C, 3 stars..Andy almost did it, i managed all the moves so project mode is now on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, 7c - tough call for me, but it looked cool! Must get back up there soon, seems like there's a whole other Glendalough I didn't know about up there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris is right. Andy Chrome did the FA of the eponymous arete.

    ReplyDelete