Friday, November 5, 2010

Taking stock... year 1

Seeing as I'm bored of a Friday evening...

I wanna write down what I've climbed this year... Most of them, I don't know the names of, but some of em I do!

So on my first day
bouldering in Glendalough I did:

The rails (flash)
That slab on the back of Big Jim
and the warm up traverse along the path...

I did a bunch of other stuff that day too but they're the one's that stand out...

oh, and I sat under the Nu rails for the first time...

So I found my project, and it took far too many sessions to send it, but I finally cracked it not so long ago...

Nu rails (6c+)... tick!

I've been to the Trampoline World Championships and I felt way more of a buzz sitting at the top of that problem than when I landed the final move of my trampoline routine... Is that really sad?!

Funnily enough, the first move on it wasn't the crux for me - I was at the top of that boulder 12 times before I finally topped out...

So the next big tick was Chillax (6c) - and I have to say I found it harder than the Nu rails, even though it took me less sessions to achieve.

What I loved about ticking it off was the fact that on the first 2 proper sessions on it, I couldn't get off the ground. I literally didn't see how I would get the first move... then one day it just clicked - I love that about bouldering - it's just a matter of how much you believe!

Magic will happen!

I learned a harsh lesson that day though, I was told that once you get a project... WALK AWAY! but no - I had to try and see if I could do it again, and sure enough... with quite the thud - on the campus move, gravity won and I HIT the deck... ouch... sore bum... lesson learned...

So now my eyes are fixed on Andy's Arret... wanna tick that for sure. I have a feeling it won't come as easy as Chillax or the Nu Rails though.

We shall see!!!!

So coming back from Font, I suppose I performed way below my own expectations, and am still dealing with the disappointment. But I had a score to settle with a 6a+ in Franchard Isitis and I ticked it, happily!

I believe it's called 'La Surplomb Statique', Though I'm open to correction...

Doolin is a place where I've done 2 or 3 sessions and sent a few things, but I can't for the life of me remember what exactly they look like, and therefore can't pick them out of the guide which curiously enough is the only irish bouldering guide I downloaded from the shortspan, it's really well done...I believe the trickiest thing I've sent there is a 6b... but I love that place and have to
get back there soon - it's just a stunning bit of the world.


So my quest to send my elusive first 7a
continues...

Watch this space!

Also have to mention- though I do favour my outdoor achievements over anything I do indoors - the awesome fun I've had at my first round of IBLs finishing in 3rd place overall and a best single round placing of 2nd in Midleton, Cork.

Also had my first taste of an actual climbing competition at the IBCs (Thanks Angela) where the final problems were absolutely nails hard - but I somehow muddled my way to joint 2nd place with Joan Mulloy - who's an absolute technician of a climber!


Good year's bouldering!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment